Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Big Reveal

So far, the best part about being pregnant (other than the fact that we are FINALLY going to have a baby) is announcing it to our friends and family that have supported us on this long journey. We decided to only tell close friends and family. Here is a quick timeline of telling friends and family and some memorable quotes and memories.

Friday May 27
I got the call from the doctor with the positive blood test and of course called Matt first. While we had already seen the 3 positive home tests, this was confirmation. It was a pretty quick conversation - we were in shock.
Dan: From there, I grabbed my friend Dan. I have worked with him for over 3 years and he has been there after all the good and bad news. I popped into his work room and made him come to a conference room and told him. He was so excited that he could barely sit down.
Heather: Then I called Heather who was anxiously awaiting news of the blood test. Heather has been my sanity through all of this. After trying for 7 years she went through in-vitro and has a handsome son, Tanner, and then got pregnant on her own right away with Madi. She has listened to me complain and has given me tips and encouragement for the last 3 years.
Whitney A: Matt had to tell someone too - how can you keep this inside?! He called his friend Whitney A and told her the good news.
Jenni: I have worked with Jenni for over 3 years and have known her from back when we both worked at Accenture. She is my career mentor and the woman I admire most in this profession. After an account meeting, Dan and I pulled her into an empty room at the Jabian office. She said this was to become the new lactation room - "how appropriate," I said, "since I am pregnant." Since finding out she pops in over email or IM to see how I am feeling and if there are any updates.

Week of May 30
Mansi: She has literally held my hand when I cried after bad test results at work. Matt and I vacation with her and her husband and she is an amazing friend. I was dying to tell her so pulled her into a conference room at work. YAY!!
Nina: I was supposed to have dinner with Nina on Tuesday, but had to reschedule to Thursday. I made fish tacos and the 4 dogs jumped all over her (as usual). She was so excited and plans "to spoil this child."
Whitney I: Matt's work friend was out in Italy getting married when we found out, but he told her as soon as he could steal her attention away from Bob at work. She freaked out, pumping her arms over her head, and asked if she could text me. I got the sweetest text with well-wishes and congratulations.
Kristen: When Matt told KK, she kept slapping his arm and leg in suprise.

Weekend of June 10
We left Atlanta at 2 to drive down to Orlando to tell our families in person. We started planning the trip 2 weeks before and it worked out that all of my sister plus Neena and Tailor would be in town in addition to the normal crowd.
Jen and Ali: Our first stop at 10:30pm was to Jen's new apartment. We chatted for a bit and then I told them I had one picture from the Italy trip on my camera that I had not loaded online yet. I showed them the positive pregnancy test picture. Ali was a bit confused, but Jen started crying right away. They were so happy. I can't believe that Ali did not cry (she is usually the crier), but Jen did enough for all of us. They insisted that we all go straight to Mom's house even though Mom was tired and had said she would just see us in the morning.
Mom: She was suprised to see us all at her house after 11pm. We caught up and then we did the same reveal with the picture. She immediately ran out the garage and came back with a baby cake - for real!! She said that she knew and was prepared. Matt asked her if she had a cake ready every time we came home just in case hehe. We cried and told her the whole story...and then on to Riggles' house.
John and Debbie: It was after midnight when we got to their house. Debbie woke up for us and Matt said he had a blog to show her. We pulled up this blog and she was so happy. Again...she said she knew. How do these moms know?!! We woke John up and told him the news and he whipped out a bottle of port that he had just gotten to celebrate when Matt was going to have a baby. It was really strong stuff - not sure I should have even sat close to Matt while he was drinking it.
Jackie: She got in town Saturday so we told her after we got back from the beach on Sat evening. She kinda already knew since I had to give her such a strong hint just to get her to come in town. Troy&Lindsay, Jack&Kellen: I went out to the beach with Ali and met up with this crowd on Saturday morning while Matt fished with his dad. I told the girls and Lindsay got goosebumps and a little teary-eyed. Her son, Easton, is 6 months old, so we have a built in playmate for Baby Riggs. Kellen was so excited and her and Jack are hoping to add another munchkin to the pack along with us.
Orlando Gullickson Crew: Mom had everyone over for Grandma's 76th birthday. We ate appetizers, dinner, and started to open gifts. I told Grandma that I had something. I gave her the rosary that we got for her at The Vatican and then showed her the picture of the pregnancy test saying that we brought back another gift, but it would not be ready for 9 months. She immediately started crying and did not stop for 30 mins. The rest of the family was so excited. Aunt Gina had just drilled me about the in-vitro updates (that I had to lie about) and was especially suprised. Neena and Aunt Mary apparently knew something was up and whipped out a gift (our first baby outfit) that they had bought for the occassion. I thought we were so smooth, but our familes know us so well. Jackie also gave us a baby name book and a picture for the first foot print. I told the full story of our trip and how we were on the verge of IVF when we magically got knocked up. I made the mistake of telling about how Matt thought I was 'glowing' on the train so Uncle Dennis poked fun at him for that.
Amie and Josephine: We called Josephine and told her that Aunt Nancy is going to have a baby. She was too distracted by her Nintendo DS and told us all about the dragons. I guess babies are not high on her excitement list..hehe. But Amie got on the phone and was so happy.
Ella and Molly: Ella was at a birthday party, but we told her and she was so happy. She just exclaimed 'Oh, oh'. Molly hopped on the phone and said she was in the corner at the party crying. So sweet!!! Matt had a longer conversation with her yesterday to fill her in on the whole story.

All-in-all it was a great weekend and we are so lucky to have friend and family that already care so much about us and little Baby Riggs.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you guys enjoyed the weekend! Everyhing went so well! I am so excited to be a part of this special journey. I'll call you tomorrow afternoon to see how the first ultrasound went. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I am tearing up again at work reading this! So so so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete