Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The (LONG) Path to Pregnancy

How did we get here?
Last year (2010) was full of procedures, drugs, and lots of tests to try to get me pregnant. Matt's numbers were "off the charts" and "amazing" which, as a man, he is very proud of. I was just glad that only one of us had a problem. So we just had to get me fixed. We tried IUI 3 times after using just Clomid alone - all with no luck. Finally, the Dr. Lewis referred me to Reproductive Biology Associates to look into In-vitro Fertilization (IVF).

In April, we had our first appointment with RBA and started another round of tests. Everything looked pretty good except for a few of my hormone levels indicating damage to my ovaries from the endometriosis. But that would just mean a different medicine regime. After the tests we were leaving for Europe for holiday and scheduled an appointment for May 24 when we got back. We went to that appointment and planned to do IVF with my next cycle, scheduled to start any day. We discussed the procedures, ordered the meds, went through genetic counseling, and plotted out costs. That night, while Matt was at class, I read through the paperwork, signed some crazy release forms, and put a check in the folder...and cried. I was totally overwhelmed by the process, the drugs, the money, the whole thing.

How did we find out?
I stayed home from work on Thursday to receive the drugs which happened to coincide with the day I expected to start my period. I had some HPTs at home so took one in the morning just for fun. Matt was in the shower and I asked him 'What do you see?". He confirmed the + result, but we were very cautiously optimistic. While this was my first positive test, we have had so much disappointment with trying to get pregnant that we are still very guarded. After 2 more positive tests at home, we were feeling a little better. Friday morning, I woke Matt up at 6am with a positive test and his response was a very groggy "Come cuddle."

The nurse was able to stop the delivery of the drugs and I went in Friday morning for a blood test. My hcg level was 160 which confirmed the pregnancy. WHAT!!!! I could not wait until after work to tell Matt so I called him. He was so cool and calmly excited, but said later that he was freaking out. We both told close work friends (you HAVE to tell someone this amazing news) and got the hugs and congratulations we needed. Matt actually IMd me "It can't be this easy." We were in shock.

Now that we know...
We spent last weekend (Memorial Day weekeend) relaxing and just amazed that this actually happened.

Yesterday I took another blood test and my hcg level is 980 which is progressing just perfectly. I will take one more blood test on Friday and then will get in with Dr. Lewis.

This does not feel real. I think that when we get to see or hear something that we will actually let ourselves celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Nancy and Matt!
    Wonderful news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Nancy Pancy and Matt!! We were waiting to hear this news from a while now and it's all finally happening!Anoob and I are both very excited for baby Riggle :)and can't wait to see him/her and teach him the few Hindi words that Matt loves saying lol. Let's celebrate soon!! Love ya, Mansi

    ReplyDelete